Sunday, September 26, 2010

Rain Season!

I know, it's been a while. Life has been busy in the Gambia, and yet not at all. Everything is still good and I'm still safe healthy and happy. Let's run through the highlights of the last few months...crazy it's been months already!
July's Visitor
For most of July I got to share Gambia with my dear Chris. About an hour after he got off the plane he officially proposed and I officially said yes. But the real highlight of the visit was when he met Bob. They were like old buddies right away and it was hard to get them to stop canoodling and go out in the village. The people of Koli Kunda loved our guest: Mamadou Nyang (Chris's Gambian name) and were very overwhelming to greet him. We did get out of a traditional Gambian wedding. Perhaps I'll look back on that with regret someday, but for now it would have just been too much...too many people and commotion, plus i'm sure I would have been expected to buy a goat which I'm not very interested in right now. We saw the Hyena's in the big nature reserve (behind a cage) which was a lot of fun for both of us. Chris championed academic reward ceremonies for 4H, endless conversations, and even a presidential party to open the bridge (he got to see the president AND eat the president's cookies!) There were hot days and rain days, but over all it was an experience we'll both look back upon with great fondness. I'm ready for my next visitor, but you don't have to propose too!
The Rains
...did finally come and are about to leave again which is very sad. i have enjoyed everything being very green though, and actually rather cool at night. Last week it got down to 68! The mosquitoes have gotten worse for sure, but i'm really good about my malaria medicine and mosquito net and repellent. The corn is all harvested now, but was, along with the millet, about 9 feet tall! It was crazy! I love walking to get water in the path along the millet...it's like a secret passage!
The Baby
...is not here yet. BUT i've been promised a namesake if it's a girl and if its a boy i've suggested Bob have a namesake. the family thinks I'm making a joke. I'm not. Soon, though, this kid should be here.
The Work
...is slow, especially during Ramadan. So perhaps it will pick up again. It's been a lot of little things here and there. Most recently we registered my little sister for school. I'm crossing my fingers she'll do well. I want to "train" her mom on how to further encourage her education after school hours but asking how school was and what the homework is. We're trying to get a solar set up in the next village so we can install some power strips and charge mobiles. It sounds silly but will actually be a good income generating project for the village and they hope to use that money to some day waaaaaaay down the road be able to have computer classes. That's the most exciting thing on my plate right now.
I can't think of much else exciting to write about right now. We've had a few village deaths and LOTS of other new babies born. It all makes me feel closer with the village and more like a part of them. Yesterday my ticker told me that I'm 40% finished with my service. There are a group of really good folks about to finish their service and I'm already sad they're leaving and sad to think about finishing up in a year...but equally just as ready to get home. That's life here. Maybe Next month I'll have a good hearty email about my one year reflections!
Until then, I've really appreciated all the mail and other forms of support! I' hope everyone's fall is beautiful and schools are up and running well!
Happiness is a really good rain storm.

No comments: